Every year on January 1
You make sweet promises
of keeping our relationship alive
for next couple of years
I believe them and
trust you like a fool,
when you blatantly refuse
to work out to keep the relationship alive
Coming home late
All drunk and bruised
Sweaty forehead and
abusive words on the mouth
is this why we agreed to stay together??
You liked me for being the cool girl
And as the saying goes
“All guys love cool girls…
Because a cool girl takes all the shit
and yet smiles at your mess at the end of the day”
The kids getting beaten and
my eyeliner getting smudged
is this why you make such
sweet resolutions each day
only to break them
way before we reach mid year
So here you go with a new resolution from my side
“I will not try to convince you to love me, to respect me, to commit to me. I deserve better than that; I AM BETTER THAN THAT…Goodbye.”
I was surfing net the other day and found that 35% of women worldwide have experienced either intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime. When I say 35% it accounts to around 1.2 billion women. Chances are more that, 38% of women around the world are getting murdered by their own intimate partner. So how true are the partners truly understanding the statement “Till death do us apart”. What they are really doing is forcefully inducing deadly situations onto their partners paving way to one or more of the following consequences:
- Huge amount of dropouts amongst women in workforce and also dropouts in schooling of kids who are part of such a situation
- Personality disorders in both women and kids who are exposed to such an environment. Who has not seen this scene from Provoked?
- Adultery in marital relationships seeking out for some sort of refuge from the gory they are facing on a day to day basis, ultimately leading to murders/divorce.
- Mental illness and post traumatic disorders by women and kids who are constantly victimized by domestic violence
- Causes huge dent in a society , which calls an ultimatum against gender discrimination.
The solution for this is women should be empowered. Empowerment doesn’t include just providing her refuge from domestic violence. It also includes giving her the most important weapons required to build a secure future for herself, in order to survive in such a hostile environment. Prominent amongst them are
- Every woman must educate her own son that women are not to be treated as sexual objects. Women are not to be treated as inferiors to them. Women are to be treated differently. They should be respected and not harmed. A very innovative and powerful campaign in India was launched by Breakthrough. It was called Bell Bajao
- Every woman should be educated and must establish a brand of her own in society. This can be achieved only if she tries to break her own glass ceiling. Its in her hands whether she chooses to silently bear the violence or raise her voice against it.
- Proper awareness among women should be given in 2 fields
- Awareness on her rights and
- Financial Literacy
- To instill in each woman that she is not weak. But she is stronger than what she thinks of herself.
PS: The quote written in the last line of the poem is from Steve Maraboli. Also the statement on cool girl is inspired by GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn. I hope you have enjoyed reading my article on Domestic Violence. Comments and suggestions are most welcome. Also, please… the next time you see someone getting subjected to Domestic Violence kindly apply “Bell Bajao” technique or even better be a role model yourself
Thanks for stopping by.
Lots of love and hugs,